The role of a civil servant in a democracy is multi-dimensional. Highlight the challenges faced by the civil servants in fulfillment of this mandate. Suggest few recommendations by various government committees and the 2nd ARC, in this regard.
Article 312 of the Constitution provides for creation of one or more All India Services common to the Union and State.
Civil servants as the ‘permanent executive’ undertake various roles in –
- Maintenance of law and order – provide stability for development to take place.
- Policy formulation and Implementation – helping government of the day in fulfilling its mandate.
- Impartial advisor – provides non-partisan advice to political leadership
- Repository of information – acts as bridge between government and the citizenry.
- Catalyst of development – facilitates developments socio, economic, political development.
- Effective coordination between institutions of governance.
- Provide continuity and change to the administration.
- Delegated/subordinate legislation.
In undertaking of these functions civil servants often face various challenges, such as –
- Rise in red tapism and corrupt tendencies – due to absence of adequate checks and balances.
- Lack of expertise/ specialisation – poor capacity building.
- Inefficient incentive systems – penalises risk taking and promotes status quoits approach.
- Arbitrary and whimsical transfers – Insecurity in tenures impedes institutionalization.
- Outdated rules and procedures – restrict the civil servant from performing successfully.
To overcome which in recent years government has introduced ‘Lateral entry’ on suggestions of 2nd ARC.
Further, recommendations with regard to civil services reform include:
- 2nd ARC
- Setting up of a Central Civil Services authority
- Performance oriented Appraisal
- Grading system
- Niti Ayog – Promotion of internal specialisation
- Hota Committee – Introduction of model code for governance.
- Digitalization – movement towards cashless, paperless, faceless governance.
These reforms shall go a long way in strengthening of steel frame and facilitating good governance.